Experiences on a Mystics Journey

"Be the change you want to see in the world."

Gandhi

Saturday, February 6, 2010

50 Ways to Leave Your Lover

Today is the day I am becoming smoke-free. The vice clamped around my head and neck is cheering me forward in this new lifestyle. Migraines and physical pain in general are tough teachers. I've been trying to love this migraine away for 4 days. This migraine must really be hungry for love, for it's hanging on.

I was laying in bed last night perusing how I am going to break up with this cigarette habit of mine. I have been smoking 2 packs per week. So it's not too bad, but it is a well honed habit none the less. How do I re-train my brain? Do I follow others advice and substitute another habit for this one?(Which seems to negate the intent.) What do I do when I go outside to throw Teddy his ball?

I've realized over the past year that smoking for me was something I did to ease the loneliness I felt. The cigarettes became my little-white-stick friends who were always happy to see me. They let me touch them, and I could see the union we shared in the smoke I exhaled. I realized it was a lie, yet the habit remained. Smoking for me was also a subconscious attempt at squashing my own power. Punishing myself for being bright, insightful, creative and a catalyst for change. I had learned over the years how much people admired these qualities in me, yet they repelled the very people attracted to me. I punished myself for being me by starting smoking when I was 42 years old.

I must identify the things that keep this human experience worthwhile. So, I write this list for myself, will have it copied and laminated, and carry it with me, so I can refer to it every time I desire to punish myself for my beauty. So that I can honor my body and become and remain cigarette smoking free.


My Favorite Things About Being Alive
  1. Kissing.
  2. Being Happy.
  3. Writing.
  4. Being Love.
  5. Laughing
  6. Being Me.
  7. Touching.
  8. Owning my gifts.
  9. Being touched.
  10. Feeling my power.
  11. Helping people find their humor.
  12. Walking in the rain.
  13. Painting.
  14. Making Love.
  15. Making jewelry.
  16. Make-out sessions.
  17. Wearing jewelry.
  18. Taking the hand of someone I love and tracing the veins in their hands and arms with my fingers.
  19. Putting together fun outfits.
  20. My hair.
  21. Being a Healer.
  22. Singing.
  23. Feeling the wind on my face.
  24. Playing the piano.
  25. Feeling the sun's warmth on my skin.
  26. Being intelligent.
  27. Sitting in front of a roaring fire.
  28. Watching movies.
  29. Looking at the moon and stars.
  30. Crying when I am happy.
  31. Playing in the ocean.
  32. Learning from everything which is uncomfortable for me.
  33. Walking the beach, looking for shells.
  34. Cuddling.
  35. Sculpting.
  36. My Family.
  37. Doing Raku in my garage with my sister.
  38. My 4-legged friends.
  39. Hearing peoples stories.
  40. Playing in the snow.
  41. Smiling.
  42. Hot chocolate.
  43. Letting someone go before me in the checkout line.
  44. Pizza and red wine.
  45. Smelling good.
  46. Trees.
  47. Falling in love for the very last time.
  48. Feeling safe.
  49. Feeling strong.
  50. Feeling Loved.

Well, that was fun, and helpful. Yes, I encourage every one of you to write down the reasons you enjoy being alive. For you will find as I did, that the reasons for creating your joy are much more compelling than the reasons for sacrificing your joy.

Have a beautiful day. Play more, blow some bubbles, fly a kite, be silly with a child.

Don't Postpone Joy!

Love and Light,

Laurie

1 comment:

Chris said...

Now, nearly three years after you wrote this post, I imagine your list to be almost infinite, for no one can count all the blessings that enrich their lives: the opportunities that present themselves, the little joys discovered in a confidant's look or a stranger's smile or the sudden shaft of light streaming down between clouds.